Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Speak Up on Predator Management Policies & Regulations in CA

I just received this in my email and wanted to share it right away. I'm a big fan of predator hunting. Coyotes around here are every where and they need to be managed. I cannot make this meeting, but I am hoping at least one of my readers might!
___________________________________________________________________

California Deer Association
If You're Not at the Table, You're on the Menu!!!

What does this mean? Like it or not the antis communicate their thoughts and opinions to the Department of Fish and Wildlife, Fish & Game Commission, and elected officials at every possible opportunity. They have full-time employees whose jobs are to convince the decision makers to limit or take away your hunting privileges. We are fooling ourselves if we think that just complaining to each other will save hunting. We need to get off the menu and take a seat at the table - so here is what you can do for a start. On Wednesday, January 15th the Wildlife Resources Committee of the Fish & Game Commission will be holding a meeting which is open to the public. They are looking for your comments on the management of wildlife in California and you can be sure the antis will be there. One of the main topics at this meeting will be the reform of predator management policies/regulations. The antis are pushing to stop coyote hunting. We have lost the management of mountain lions and with the stopping of hound hunting for bears another management tool has been lost. The meeting takes place on January 15, 2014, from 12:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. at Van Nuys State Office Bldg. Auditorium, 6150 Van Nuys Blvd., Van Nuys, CA. Please attend and be professional in your comments. It's your State so fight for proper wildlife management. Here is the agenda:

1. INTRODUCTIONS

2. DISCUSSION OF COMMITTEE ORGANIZATION AND PROCEDURES

3. DISCUSSION AND UPDATE OF PREDATOR MANAGEMENT SUBCOMMITTEE'S RECOMMENDATIONS 

     FOR CHANGES TO PREDATOR MANAGEMENT POLICIES/REGULATIONS

     A. SUMMARY OF RECOMMENDATIONS FROM PREDATOR SUBCOMMITTEE

     B. DISCUSSION AND NEXT STEPS

4. HOW TO IMPLEMENT NON-LEAD AMMUNITION REQUIREMENTS (AB 711)

     A. PRESENTATION OF DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE'S DRAFT PROPOSAL

     B. DISCUSSION OF DEPARTMENT'S PROPOSAL AND NEXT STEPS

5. DISCUSSION OF PLANS TO AMEND UPLAND GAME BIRD REGULATIONS (SECTIONS 300, 708)

6. DISCUSSION OF PLANS TO AMEND SPORT FISH 2015 REGULATIONS (SECTIONS 2.00, ET AL.)

To see summary of recommendations from Predator Subcommittee go to this link: http://www.fgc.ca.gov/meetings/2014/jan/Predator_Policy_Worksheet.pdf

3 comments:

  1. Predator hunting is equally popular here in KY however I cannot bring myself to shoot coyotes. They just look too much like dogs and I can't kill something I am not going to eat. Of course if the fish & wildlife guys told us we all needed to kill one per year to prevent some kind of overpopulation problem I might consider it my civic duty. I've asked them through multiple outlets including townhall meetings with the bigshots and they have yet to go on record as saying coyote hunting is necessary in our state. It's a very tough issue for from an ethical perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your input, Mike. I know a few guys out here who make jerky with their coyotes and I am willing to try once I get one. The anti's are going hard out here to close every bit of hunting they can. We are in a constant battle with them and their influence in our government. We have a major overpopulation. I watched one walking around the other day and I ran into three of them, in a park, one evening by my house. Stay warm out there in KY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely understand how tough you all have it in California with the political climate there. We watched the lead bullet debate closely because it could affect us one day but it's hard to compare what happens in California to anywhere else because it really does seem to function like a foreign country at times because it is so large and diverse. Here in KY we are fortunate that the political climate is much more hunter-friendly.

    My position on coyote hunting (like most other things in life) is that even if it isn't for me I support the right of other hunters to pursue them. We've seen three so far this year while hunting waterfowl. One of my friends actually managed to call one of them in by manipulating a wood duck call. Not close enough for a shotgun but close enough to get a good look at them. I just find them to be fascinating, adaptive and beautiful creatures, hence my inability to think of them as prey.

    Anyway, thanks for your response. I read all of your posts through my feed reader even though I think this was my first comment. Great site and I get a lot of ideas for hunting-related posts of my own. If you are interested in checking out my stuff I blog at www.mikedwyerwrites.com

    ReplyDelete