Sitting The Bench During The Offseason
Ok, so I am not really sitting the bench, but I have been pretty slow this past week when it comes to posting. There has been plenty going on in Southern California, but I have just been focused elsewhere. My plan is to turn that around after this weekend. This year has been tough to get to the woods and I hope that changes soon. The problem is that it's going to only get hotter and tougher to hunt these intelligent animals. Here are some of the things happening at present for The SoCal Bowhunter.
- My California hunting license and tags for 2012 have been purchased already. I am excited as I was able to pull both archery tags I was looking for. One for the specific area of A31 and then an AO tag, which just translates to Archery Only. This opens up what units I can hunt and should give me more opportunity.
- Lately, I have been focusing hard on training for the hunt. I have been running, hiking and just plain sweating my tail off in preparation for the Fall hunting seasons. I am dropping the fat, gaining muscle and improving my cardio. That alone has taken up a great deal of focus on my part. Some days I can't wait to run and other days I just want to sleep. I still get out there at least five days per week doing something.
- I have been testing out some great gear lately, too. Some reviews have been written and others are developing in my brain. I have reviews coming out on KOWA Sporting Optics coming and on the book, The Mindful Carnivore: A Vegetarian’s Hunt for Sustenance, by Tovar Cerulli. Looking forward to sharing both! Doing the reviews on the optics has been great because my daughter is really wanting to use the binoculars on our outings. She might not understand the technical details, at only three years old, but she knows what they are used for. Glassing up birds puts a smile on her face and mine. I have truly loved spending time with her and seeing her use them. It's just one more step in getting her into the outdoors!
Glassing up some birds at the park.
- I acquired a used bow and I am starting to slowly work it into a bowfishing rig. It is just a side project for fun. It's a challenge as it is an older bow with steel cables. One way or another, it'll give me something to work on in my downtime and will hopefully get me out bowfishing this year.
- With the surge in movies having archers in them, Bass Pro Shops has asked me to give a seminar on Getting Into Archery on May 5 & 6. I am excited for this one even more than the turkey seminars. I eat, breathe and sleep archery and an opportunity like this is exciting. It starts at 4:00 PM for those who can make it.
- I plan on going out tomorrow morning to do a little hog hunting with my buddy Josh. I sure hope we can get some good hunting in before the heat bakes us. Either way, we are going to get some good hiking/hunting in and have a great time. It's a New Moon and we are hitting the woods at sunrise. Wish us luck!
|Headphones NOT made for exercising.|
There is more in store for me in 2012, but I will keep those details to myself for the time being. Yeah, it's a tease and I promise to share more as soon as I can. I hope everyone has a great weekend!